So, apparently, we’re all going to die today. According to some Bible-thumping born again Christian assholes, the world will end at 6:00 PM today, May 21st, 2011. I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but if the world is really ending, dude, I’m sure wasting my last hours on earth. I should probably be doing lots of more important things, like getting drunk and laid and spending all my money on meaningless crap. But I am not, and in the spirit of professionalism to my field (failed writers, that is), I’ll spend my precious time blogging.
The idea for this post started on Twitter, as a hashtag that never materialized into a trending topic. I thought I might scour through my music library to find tunes that could be appropriate to these final times, and here are my findings. The following songs evoke moods, inspire ideas or contain elements that remind me of the end of the world somehow. They might not make much sense to you, but I don’t care. This is my last day on this planet, so I’m gonna listen to whatever the fuck I want. Ha.
- 12 Rounds – Dog
- A Perfect Circle – The Noose
- Blonde Redhead – Futurism Vs. Passéism
- Alcian Blue – 71705
- Clint Mansell and Kronos Quartet – The Beginning of the End
- Nine Inch Nails – Underneath It All
- Dead Can Dance – Ocean
- Elysian Fields – Lady in the Lake
- Nick Drake – Things Behind the Sun
- The Knife – Behind the Bushes
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor – East Hastings (shortened version)
- Joy Division – Atmosphere
- Lydia Lunch and Roland S. Howard – Endless Fall
- Neutral Milk Hotel – Oh Comely
- Swans – Alcohol the Seed
- Zola Jesus – Manifest Destiny
And of course, how could we forget this:
Okay, doomsday, I am ready. Come get me if you can, motherfucker.
As a side note, this category will finally be one hundred percent befitting in a post, and won’t be there to represent my stupid girl problems for a change.